Why I like Micro 4/3

99PanozAIV

Silver Member
Reaction score
A whole empty subforum, wow!

Anyway, I’ve done quite a shit load of photography for not being a photographer, 4x5 view camera, 35mm film cameras, macrophotography, various microscope based cameras on both light and electron microscopes, copy stand work, advanced digital imaging systems. One of my favorite camera systems is Micro 4/3. It was a standard developed by Olympus and Panasonic which introduced several big improvements to handheld dedicated cameras.

- The first thing is that they did away with the reflex mirror box which defines most SLR type cameras. So, much less mechanically complex.
- The above design feature decreased the lens flange to film plane considerably. This means, with readily available adapters, you can use legacy lenses from a wide range of SLR brands.
- Because of the chip size, those legacy lenses will essentially be twice the focal length but with no change in aperture. So your old 50mm/f1.4 normal lens becomes a 100m,/f1.4 portrait lens.
- Because of the above 3 features the cameras and lenses are considerably smaller and lighter than many of their competitors.
- A LOT of different optical companies are supporting Micro 4/3 meaning you have a huge selection of many different types of lenses.
- These lenses are designed so that light rays are almost all perpendicular to the film plane, unlike older designs where the light rays became increasingly oblique off center, so they offer much better performance with the highly reflective CMOS sensor surfaces.
- Many of the dedicated micro 4/3 lenses have advanced communication through multiple contact pins allowing for combined lens/chip 5 axis image stabilization worth several f/stops of hand held capability.
- Finally, the Panasonic GH5 series in particular offers probably the most bang for the buck available in videography, offering amazing performance and features for the price. That also includes dedicated T-stop videography lenses, including anamorphic, from multiple manufacturers.

Last edited: