Sway bar, yes or no

89 Fox 351

Seenyour Member
Reaction score
Foxbody mustang, mostly street car. 650hp, 2800lbs ish, 8pt rollbar, subframe connectors, coilovers all 4 corners.

I didn't plan on running a sway bar. Are they necessary?

Lumbergh

Reaction score
Foxbody mustang, mostly street car. 650hp, 2800lbs ish, 8pt rollbar, subframe connectors, coilovers all 4 corners.

I didn't plan on running a sway bar. Are they necessary?
In the front, on a street car-yes…but that depends on your coilovers and spring rates. Easy enough to add one later if you find you have too much body roll.

89 Fox 351

Seenyour Member
Reaction score
Well damn. I have 1" shorter adjustable a-arms and nowhere to mount one up front.

BOOT

Site
www.youtube.com
Reaction score
A sway bar is a spring, the only difference is it's mostly straight and not coiled. Some people prefer to run higher rate coil springs and no sway bars. I don't have a front or rear sway bar on three of my cars that I drive on the street but I don't drive them like a madman and they got plenty of weight pulled out of them. Also dailyed an 89 Silverado w/o a front bar for years. OEM's use sway bars to have a softer ride than stiffer corner springs, that's from a suspension book that I have where they recommend to not use one for track handling But I have others that prefer to use sway bars.

Just depends how you drive it, what your rear springs are VS the front and tires sizes, shocks n so on to create understeer or oversteer. Still I'm no suspension expert or anything like that. Just always seems people respond to these type post like your gonna die and kill everyone else on the road if you drive w/o a sway bar, when your prob in more danger of killing yourself on your 8pt rollbar w/o a helmet according to some LOL

Lumbergh

Reaction score
^Yup, spring rate plays a huge role in handling.
If you have nowhere to mount one, then you might as well try running without and see how you feel. I used to pull mine when off I was going to the track, but I had stock suspension, which was pretty soft.

440roadrunner

Reaction score
I am big on anti sway bars. I was amazed the size of the factory bars on Ram/ Dakota in the 97/ later that I've had