Life of engine gaskets and hoses

99PanozAIV

Reaction score
I’m thinking about selling my Panoz. It’s a 1999 with the DOHC 4.6L SVT Cobra engine. When that idiot hit me at a stop sign, I sent the car down to Panoz in Georgia for the repairs. They pulled the engine to check chassis alignment at my request (all good) and installed a set of JBA tubular exhaust. Other than that, nothing has been done except change fluids and plugs. I noticed just recently, I’m getting a small oil spot on the garage floor, maybe a 1/2 teaspoon over a month. The cars been kept in a (unheated) attached garage and has less than 15,000 miles on it. Should I be expecting some gaskets etc. to be going bad about now despite the low use?

lumen8

Reaction score
Yes gaskets and seals can go hard over time despite miles.

I don't have any experience with that engine but I know that valve cover gaskets for one can go hard and leak a little then it runs down the motor. Sometimes re tightening them works, sometimes not.

But it could be anything, those who know that engine better might know where the most likely source is. The valve cover gaskets are the easiest thing to check first.

Lumbergh

Reaction score
Those engines are usually pretty good for seals, are you sure it’s engine oil and not something else? More than anything Fords seem to leak power steering fluid.
As long as it’s being run and driven a few times a year the seals should stay pretty mlist and not leak. Hoses should be changed due to age, but I’m a cheap fucker and usually just wait till there are visible signs to change them.

99PanozAIV

Reaction score
Those engines are usually pretty good for seals, are you sure it’s engine oil and not something else? More than anything Fords seem to leak power steering fluid.
As long as it’s being run and driven a few times a year the seals should stay pretty mlist and not leak. Hoses should be changed due to age, but I’m a cheap fucker and usually just wait till there are visible signs to change them.
Ah, interesting you should say that. The guy that hit me hit the left, front tire/wheel and drove it past the limit, completely FUBAR’d the steering. They replaced all that stuff, including the suspension components, but it sounds reasonable to check that. Thanks.