Court cases to watch

99PanozAIV

Silver Member
Reaction score
Optimism is not one of my defining characteristics but I have to admit, I’m getting a bit excited. This other board I’m on is frequented by many attorneys and legal eagles. This was posted by someone with screen name “wjackcooper”.
“The basic controlling law is not complicated:

(1) In Heller (2008) Scalia pointed out by quoting Ginsberg that: * “[T]he Constitution’s Second Amendment … indicate: wear, bear, or carry … upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose of … defensive action in a case of conflict with another person . .. .” * Note: “upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket.”

(2) In McDonald (2010) Alito pointed out that: ** “Two years ago, in District of Columbia v. Heller . . . we held that the Second Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense . . . . ** Note: “bear arms for” . . . “self-defense.”

The 2A right to bear "in a pocket" and N.Y.’s right to regulate the method are not seriously debatable. N.Y. has opted for “concealed;” but denies permits for “self-defense.” The SC’s question is - does this violate the 2A? Arguments are rarely decisive (and are often misleading). For sure, all of the Justices understood the fundamental controlling law (Heller/McDonald) and what the arguments would be long before they obviously decided the case while agreeing upon the question.

2A supporters have reason to be optimistic.

Regards
Jack

*Heller: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf (syllabus) p. 10 and p. 11

“In Muscarello v. United States, 524 U. S. 125 (1998), in the course of analyzing the meaning of “carries a firearm” in a federal criminal statute, JUSTICE GINSBURG wrote that “urely a most familiar meaning is, as the Constitution’s Second Amendment . . . indicate: ‘wear, bear, or carry . . . upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose . . . of being armed and ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict with another person.’”

**McDonald: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed...pinion-1963369 p. 1, para.1

Two years ago, in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U. S. ___, this Court held that the Second Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense and struck down a District of Columbia law that banned the possession of handguns in the home.”

Last edited:

99PanozAIV

Silver Member
Reaction score
Remington settles. Setting a precedent. But Remington was bought out by private equality firm Vista, controlled by Soros...

From what I’ve been reading, there was a lot of press about this company, Roundhill Group LLC, buying Remington but I cannot find that any such company exists. What gives?

99PanozAIV

Silver Member
Reaction score
One more small, 9-0, victory for gun owners.

99PanozAIV

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just saw this good summary in response to a question I asked, about best and worst outcomes, on another board regarding NYSRPA case. This is a Gun board loaded with legal eagles. Posted by “Kharn”.

”Barrett is not on record with a significant 2A opinion for lawful individuals.

Roberts is iffy depending on political winds.

Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor are hard no's.

Thomas has repeatedly dissented from denial of cert, Peruta being his most memorable.

Alito wrote the concurrence in Caetano

Gorsuch concurred with Thomas in Peruta

Kavanaugh dissented in Heller II at the circuit court, saying DC's AWB violated Heller on magazines and ARs.

Best case it's 6:3 for constitutional carry.
Worst case 5:4 for Heller overturned because someone dies before oral argument and Roberts switches sides.
Likely #1: 5:4 for strong shall issue, with a very weak concurring in the judgment by Roberts.
Likely #2 6:3 for very weak shall issue written by Roberts, multiple conservatives concurring in the judgement but complaining about Roberts.

Ruling released the last week of June 2022.”

99PanozAIV

Silver Member
Reaction score

99PanozAIV

Silver Member
Reaction score