Best ever car builder, ( none race car )?

Yoyodyne

Reaction score
And Dennis Rolaine. They formed R&B Race Cars here. I knew Dennis for years after John left. Seriously intelligent guy.
Dennis was a customer when he was doing motorcycles. I got to talk with John around 98/99 or so, but he wasn't a very chatty guy. No one has impacted drag racing like John has except maybe Garlits, or street rodding. And then gone on to build a car in his garage and race at indy , and terrific motorcycles, and and and...
I was in awe of his 27 sedan at the Minnesota NSRA nats in '74. things like hand machined from solid aluminum one piece radiator hose clamps long before CNC, tightened by little stainless t-bolts and aircraft stop nuts. Small and subtle, you had to just stand and look to notice the details. He had male and female multi contact connectors in the door jams so there were no wires to pinch or show when they were open. He started the "billet" parts trend and billet wheels. He developed what we now see as the modern FC chassis. He built the monocoque Mickey Thompson Mustang funny cars. All in his one man shop.

Last edited:

86Koop

Reaction score
I 2nd the Ring brothers. They build some seriously cool shit. But so do most guys mentioned here. But i like almost any kind of car or build. Hell i think jesse james builds some cool shit too.

restosteve69

Reaction score
Dennis was a customer when he was doing motorcycles. I got to talk with John around 98/99 or so, but he wasn't a very chatty guy. No one has impacted drag racing like John has except maybe Garlits, or street rodding. And then gone on to build a car in his garage and race at indy , and terrific motorcycles, and and and...
I was in awe of his 27 sedan at the Minnesota NSRA nats in '74. things like hand machined from solid aluminum one piece radiator hose clamps long before CNC, tightened by little stainless t-bolts and aircraft stop nuts. Small and subtle, you had to just stand and look to notice the details. He had male and female multi contact connectors in the door jams so there were no wires to pinch or show when they were open. He started the "billet" parts trend and billet wheels. He developed what we now see as the modern FC chassis. He built the monocoque Mickey Thompson Mustang funny cars. All in his one man shop.
I met Dennis just out of high school. I was a star struck kid the first time I walked through that place. He was at his shop off of 22nd Ave. then, but I remember the original shop where they built Shumacher's cars. Then he built the Ruffalo & Ehlen fuel car and I got involved with those guys. The car is at Garlit's museum now. He was such a cool guy. Really sucked when he passed. Especially the way he went out. I've still got all his snips in my box.

I only met John once, years and years ago when he came back for a visit. I think I remember the '27. Didn't he have a problem at one point from trying to weld without enough filler rod? Heard that from a funny car guy back in the day.

Wild_Child

Reaction score
A great number of custom car builders are artists that turn out a beautiful piece of "art". As for function, a lot of them don't have a clue how the mechanics of car are supposed to work. Almost 20 years in the business as a supplier to the stars taught me that.

One shop that stood out for doing it right was Roy Brizio Street Rods. His stuff was immaculate and built to be driven.
they seem to be "the high end shop to go to" these days..the job they did on the "Kookie" car was amazing.
besides the ZZ cars I was never really into what Boyd was putting out with the big wheels and billet everything.

Lowrider

Aka Legendman
Reaction score
I gotta go with Troy Trepanier.
When I first saw this car, I was like that is fucking bad ass.

s-l1600.jpg

Big Trev

Aussie
Reaction score
In Aussie, our legend is Rod Hadfield - former owner of Castlemaine Rod Shop, he still lives on the outskirts of Castlemaine where he runs a small private auto museum. From memory Jay Leno owns one of his cars

I saw this car on the salt a couple of years ago, now holds the world record for the worlds fastest 4 door. Crashed big time in 2019 or 2018

at the 1.30 min mark of that last video you see Rod turning over the engine, the bloke in the background under his armpit is Lionel West, Lionel drives the car, he also built the exhaust for my 1966 Ford Falcon hardtop a couple of years ago

GLHS60

Reaction score
Jeff Lutz has no equal when it comes to silicone welding a roll cage!!

Big Swede

Reaction score
I gotta go with Troy Trepanier.
When I first saw this car, I was like that is fucking bad ass.

View attachment 5155
I used to think the same because from a technical and artistic standpoint his cars are unbelievable. But then I heard Joe Rogan talking about his Cuda (built by Troy) being so undriveable that it took all the fun out of owning it and sold it soon after.

He has also bragged on Steve Strope because of how usable the cars are. I won't ever be able to afford something like that but if I could I would still want it to be somewhat reliable and easily drivable.

Battery

White Devil
Reaction score
I think I'd have to go with Petersen Engineering's Bentley "Specials" if cost isn't a consideration: https://www.bobpetersenengineering.co.uk/cars

This one is for sale right now for the bargain price of $435K: https://www.artebellum.com/en/classic-cars-for-sale/13693-1951-bentley-special

For somewhat less, I'm guessing I could strike a deal to have this dude build me a super-sized AWD Duramax-powered roadster something like his Seagraves firetruck-based Big Bertha: http://blastoland.com/blastoland/BERTHA_CHRONICLES.html

And if I absolutely had to go comparatively cheap about it, I'd try make like a jew and work with Icon to put together a reliable Cloud or S-series "Derelict":

Big sbc 3

Reaction score
Shit, I changed my mind, forgot about Gary, cinder block axle stands FTW.:D
I miss that old Jewish fuck, funny as hell and annoying at the same time.
RIP Gary.