Anyone familiar with Mallory E spark kits

Bangr

Reaction score
I have an E spark kit to convert a Mallory dual point dizzy to electronic. I’ve done one of these before about 15 years ago but can’t seem to remember the specifics. The instructions don’t seem to give me the answer I’m looking for.
The distributor is not equipped with a vacuum advance. So I assume it’ll run as a locked out system, correct? With that being said, you can toss initial and curve out the window and it’ll probably be a slug on the street locked out until the engine is wound up.
How hard on the engine is it, running locked out on the street? Don’t give a shit about fuel mileage.

itey

Reaction score
It just replaces the mechanical points with the electronic "points" trigger, the mechanical advance is not affected, thought it should be checked to be sure it is advancing as desired.

Without the drag of the points on the beaker cam it will advance slightly quicker with the electronic trigger than it did with points.

Bangr

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you!! Been along time since I’ve messed with that old stuff.

DHR Darren

Just seein' how much wood a woodchuck can chuck
Reaction score
Building powered jackstands Bang'r?😁

Bangr

Reaction score
Must be getting ready to fire the Studebaker
No I put together a little Sbc for my s dime. Engine placement has me pinched on space so that’s the reasoning for doing this conversion.

itey

Reaction score
The Mallory distributor advance mechanism has a short life expectancy and is particularly not very reliable if there is a high volume oil pump. The chatter from a HV pump is constantly beating on the pivot points of the weights and pins, so they wear rapidly and eventually fail. If it is some kind of cruiser toy that isn't going to be driven more than a few hundred miles in the next few years, and does not have a HV oil pump, it will likely get buy if it isn't already worn.

I know the Mallory is small in diameter but I would rather use a Delco point distributor with a Pertronix if it will fit the space. The problem with that is finding an acceptable core that isn't junk from being "rebuilt" so many times and setting it up with the right advance curve.

If it were my own I would probably use points ........... but .... yesterday a Chevelle arrived on a rollback at a pal's shop from another shop that couldn't install the points and condenser and make it run. All the other techs were busy so his sister fixed it. The failtards put the condenser wire under a point mounting screw. I guess they couldn't figure out where to connect a scanner to a '69 Chevelle so they couldn't diagnose it and didn't know what parts to replace.