Always double check your torque converter upon installation

Crazees

Reaction score
I was helping a friend years ago on a 67Mustang GTA. 390/c6 went to take a leak and told him it would drop in 3 time and not to force it. Came back out to him trying to pull it together with the bolts! Took it apart and got it seated right a finish putting the car together. First full throttle pass it blew the pump gear. Out it all came, shit like this made me quit trying to make cash on the side.

Dynamic

Staff member
Reaction score
Lesson learned- Don't even take a leak when someone else has their hands on the project! Seriously though, this is easily one of the most popular forms of trashing a brand new unit. Unfortunately, as outlined by Lyons, it is no longer a simple issue of replacing a cracked pump gear. As soon as the engine is started the residual damage begins. Whether the gear is functional and is now being forced into the back of the pump, or split and being forced to the outside of the cover, metal fragments are now being sent throughout the transmission, converter, cooler lines, etc. So a total runtime of a minute or two can necessitate a full teardown, including having the converter cut open and usually a new hub. If you suspect you might have done this, one thing to check is the fluid flow. Remove a cooler line and stick the end of it in a container. Have someone hit the key and if it fills up in the blink of an eye you might be OK. If the flow is slow or almost non-existent, your pump is no longer doing its job!

blownapex

Reaction score
One of the biggest issues we see is improper torque converter insatllation.
We dyno test every unit we build before it goes out to the customer.
Recently we had a call that a newly shipped unit had little line pressure and was running hot.
After going through the typical over the phone checks we had the customer send the unit back.
As soon as it arrived on our loading dock it was apparent what the issue was....
The torque converter was stuck in the the trans and could not be removed!
It took us an hour of prying and using a body shop dent puller to get it out.
Turns out, the customer had somehow pressed the converter neck into the pump drive gear 90 degrees out of phase!
Turning the end of the neck into a broach, that cut a new pathway for the drive lugs!
Wrecked the pump, converter neck and sent trash through a brand new unit!

We send detailed install instructions with every unit for a reason. Read them!
thats why after 30 years i do No bench jobs
all i really want is stock retail units
2 dynoes and we dont use them never did if we install them

blownapex

Reaction score
Recently we had a call that a newly shipped unit had little line pressure and was running hot.
After going through the typical over the phone checks we had the customer send the unit back.
As soon as it arrived on our loading dock it was apparent what the issue was....
Turns out, the customer had somehow pressed the converter neck into the pump drive gear 90 degrees out of phase!
Turning the end of the neck into a broach, that cut a new pathway for the drive lugs!

and those instructions should read in the last few words flip over and text the 10 digit number to activate warranty
not 1 of my 5 techs will read all the instructions sent on anything without the office reading it to them

Yoyodyne

Reaction score
and those instructions should read in the last few words flip over and text the 10 digit number to activate warranty
not 1 of my 5 techs will read all the instructions sent on anything without the office reading it to them
End users don't either. I get calls where it's obvious the customer didn't read the very first line of the very first paragraph of the first page. Right above that line in large letters is printed PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS.