76 C10 cheap toy

SteveTX

Reaction score
None of my junk is up to par for you high rollers. I like looking at your nice rides and watching your builds. My junk will get laughed off here but Ill show ya my last project my brother and I bought. We bought it to flip but now its going to be a toy unless someone wants it and shows to much cash to us. Which probably wont happen but sounded good to say. :ROFLMAO:

Yes it has rust yes it is heavy and will be slow. Yes its needing a lot of work but its ours and we are going to jam a 496 / th400 and a 9" in it. Then weld a simple cage in it and go play. This might take a few months. Hope no one is in a hurry for posts and pics. We work in our spare time as $ allows.
I don't have pictures of it in the condition it was in when purchased. It had no front clip and no interior and a full bed of junk. So we did clean it up found the correct year front clip although it is rough.
IMG_3944.jpg
UPDATE! I did find pictures of it shortly after we bought it but had already been cleaning junk out and off it. The guy that had it was "making a drag truck" :omg:
We stripped everything out of it. We wanted a fresh start as nothing had in our opinion been done in a good way.
IMG_6653.jpg
The belts were from the 80s :larf:
IMG_6655.jpg
The big areas of orange you see is because the truck was painted bright orange at one time. Just in case anyone thought that was the rust. It has some rust but its actually quite solid compared to many cabs of this year. The bed is virtually rust free but the wood floor is well gone. My brother found us the pretty damn decent tailgate. We aren't going for perfection on the body but would like a new right front fender its pretty rusty. We will see how that ends up.
IMG_6656.jpg

Tom396

Reaction score
I tow with a 1977 Suburban. One day, soon, I expect to be upgrading the power source. Looking good. Take care. Tom Worthington

Lowrider

Your mental problems are not my fault
Reaction score
(y) (y) (y) Keep the posts coming.

I picked up a 87 C10 a few months ago but time to work on it is split with the 93 C1500 I have.
It was owned by the guy who ran the junkyard I worked back in the early 90's, 30 years later I got my hands on it.

IMG_20210117_131237 (2).jpg

SteveTX

Reaction score
This morning I ordered up a 12pt cage and a 4 link kit, along with a bunch of small parts and pieces today. All claimed to be in stock or would ship by like the 8th of April. I check just while ago and my entire order is on backorder. :banghead:

SteveTX

Reaction score
Just a little update. Headers showed up. 4 link showed up. Crank scraper, rear pan baffle, oil pan, oil pump, all showed up. I did the fitting of the crank scraper and baffle.
E57EE8B2-A952-4112-92F0-1310302D6944.jpeg13AF1D8B-B97E-4AD5-9455-E31BD34121AC.jpegD92B977A-091D-4FBC-AF0B-411F4F421EA6.jpeg
The windage screen didn’t show up. It’s coming straight from Canton Summit said. Also my cage is coming straight from the manufacture they say.
I have cleaned out the truck in preparation for the cage and 4 link install. I have cut the old shock brackets off the truck 9” still have to cut the perches off and gut the housing. I may be off Tuesday and will try to get 9” housing ready for the knife. And see what else can be done to make progress. Just so many things to do and I don’t even have all the parts. Just Im having fun and really excited to hear this engine(motor :p ) for the first time.

SteveTX

Reaction score
Also a very special thank you to shelby1 as he donated to the cause. I haven’t made it home yet today but I hear a package has arrived with a lot of pills and stuff for tuning my injector hat. :smile:

Lowrider

Reaction score
:thumbup: Nice!!

I got rid of the one I had, too much rust to deal with it.

SteveTX

Reaction score
New grill new front fenders. New turn signal lenses are here. Ordered my fiberglass hood and front bumper today. Also ordered new slicks today. Also installed some inexpensive seats. Still waiting on my front wheels I ordered on March 3rd. IMG_7679.jpgIMG_7681.jpg64486066893__C47CBB61-4D83-482E-A054-2E4FAC0CC052.jpg64541515348__E81E2FD4-BF27-4EC7-9F34-9B4D03CF42CC.jpg:mad:

SteveTX

Reaction score
Ok so I got some wheels and tires on it. I took my heads and had the springs upgraded and installed them on the motor. Made a shifter stand and installed shifter. Im going to move it forward its too close. Did a little more tweaking on the fender alignment. Reproduction fenders don’t usually line up good and these are no exception. The guy building my glide says he hopes to have it finished Sunday.
Still a few weeks wait on my fiberglass hood and front bumper. They said 6 weeks and its only been a couple. Oh well lots a small stuff to work on.

Need switches and gauges installed. Got to rip out whats left of the wood in the bed. I think I am going to make a bed cover and just seal off the bed. I have some plywood I could maybe cover with some black material.

Still need to decide on a tank in the bed or buy a small upright tank and mount up front. If I didn’t have two tanks I could mount in back I would definitely go to a small tank up front. But trying to keep cost down I hate to not use something I have 2 of already.

Attachments

Lowrider

Reaction score
Nice progress. I have been working on my Dmax the last few months so no progress on the C1500

SteveTX

Reaction score
Nothing much major to update but figured id show I was not sitting in front of the TV getting indoctrinated. 😂🤣

I did move my shifter up a few inches and still need to make a bigger base for it so the flex in the floor will go away.

Got the motor mount shells that mount to the block out of the bed of the truck. Spent a hour with a scraper and a pan of gas scrubbing the 40 yrs of grime off. Dug up some bolts for them and mounted to the block. I will run a limiting strap so not relying only on the mount.
IMG_7917.jpg
Spent a hour or two with he scraper scraping tons of rubbery gunk off the firewall. Not just the factory sealer, someone had since put 3 times the amount the factory had on it. Here is a before and after picture. Just keep in mind I went back over it with bed liner. I think it turned out better for now. This is just a race truck not a show truck.
This was before I started on it.
IMG_8022.jpg
Here is after I scrapped it off.
IMG_8031.jpg
Here is after I put bed liner on it.
IMG_8037.jpg

Today I dug out the transmission crossmember. It also was covered in 40 years of gunk. I started cleaning on it and finally got it pretty clean only to find it needs a crack welded up . Ill get that welded tomorrow.
64782838303__C566E5FC-797C-4004-8599-1772D7E0CA0E.jpg
Hopefully my transmission will be here tomorrow and the install of the motor and transmission will commence. 😃

SteveTX

Reaction score
Just a little more shit for the old beater.
Got my transmission finished. I still need to cut the ears off and get a shield on it. Its nothing awesome compared to what I have seen here but this is what I got to go play for now. I will upgrade as time and $ allow.

This is my Jake's Performance billet converter

Figured id try a couple of these drag shocks. Reviews online are mixed but I had to buy something. One shock I had to cut off the truck and after I got it off I was carrying it and it came completely apart. The other shock didn't match I suppose they changed it at some point but it was junk also.

The same deal with the springs. Damn things were torched so bad they were sticking out of the lower A frame. I had to buy some springs so I decided to try and jam these in there. They are the highest nose weight rated springs in Moroso line. I think they will work once I wrestle them in there.

Lowrider

Reaction score
Nice job on the firewall. I am waiting for Dmax parts to show up so working on the C1500 in the meantime.

SteveTX

Reaction score
The firewall still looks like ass but its a better ass than the way it was. 😂
Got some solid mounts for it after trying the stock ones they were too tall for my liking and I was going to put a strap on it so these eliminated the extra strap also these are lighter and stronger.

All the readjusting of the motor lower in the frame required transmission crossmember adjustment. So what do all poor folks do we butcher the stock one and make it fit. 🤪

In general just a bunch of small stuff measuring, cutting, removing excess shit, and hopefully it wont kill me on the first pass. :shrug:

SteveTX

Reaction score
Figured id throw a few pics of things I have done on the old truck but not posted. Nothing super professional except the stainless welds on the exhaust.
exhaust.jpgexhaust2.jpg
Still haven't mounted the 6" cowl hood. I did fab up a mount for the back of the fiberglass front bumper but its still temporary I have yet to fiberglass it in.
hood.jpgbumper.jpg
Made a mount for the progressive controller. I actually really like how it turned out position wise. It doesn't look it but its angled facing the driver so it can be easily seen and operated. Should be easily reached while strapped in.
IMG_9001.jpg
I cut up this piece to hold all this junk in one place out of the way. IMG_8995.jpg
Had the cage bent up and I picked it all up this past week. Was planning to remove the bed and start the 4 link and 9" install. But looks like with my positive covid test results today I wont be doing anything for a couple weeks on the truck as far as the major work. :mad:

Lead-Farmer

Habitual line stepper
Reaction score
Love those stepsides, dad and granddad would never get one because they were ''not practical'' lol.

Bangr

Reaction score
That little rig is coming along nicely!!