55 Chevy streetcar, Boogie Nights......

DHR Darren

Just seein' how much wood a woodchuck can chuck
Reaction score
A fine day of testing even though I only made two passes before loading it up. It drove straight as a string, brakes worked well, steering was nice & smooth, power was excellent & crisp, trans shifted well & hydraulic throwout worked well.
The only issues I had were that it kicked the wp/alt belt both passes (had a 1/2" belt instead of a 3/8") and it blew thru the clutch. We knew that was most likely going to be the case but figured we would try to use it anyway since we already had it and no harm if it worked and if it didn't, well we weren't really out anything. We will call Bonnifante tomorrow am & get a new clutch coming which should be here by the end of the week. I'm going to throw some TT5 bias ply slicks on and take the radials off and we should be good to go.
GTXDana stopped by & it was good to meet him. Excellent guy with some kickass hotrods for sure!
The weather was beautiful, lots of cars & just a great day overall!
IMG_20210327_210916_279.jpgIMG_20210327_210916_299.jpgIMG_20210327_210916_317.jpgIMG_20210327_210916_343.jpgIMG_20210327_210916_370.jpgIMG_20210327_210916_388.jpgResized_20210327_112439.jpeg

Coachk

Reaction score
Nice to see you got it ot to the track. Did you run that 12.90? ;)

DHR Darren

Reaction score
I wish!
18.80 & 18.61!

gtxdana

Reaction score
A fine day of testing even though I only made two passes before loading it up. It drove straight as a string, brakes worked well, steering was nice & smooth, power was excellent & crisp, trans shifted well & hydraulic throwout worked well.
The only issues I had were that it kicked the wp/alt belt both passes (had a 1/2" belt instead of a 3/8") and it blew thru the clutch. We knew that was most likely going to be the case but figured we would try to use it anyway since we already had it and no harm if it worked and if it didn't, well we weren't really out anything. We will call Bonnifante tomorrow am & get a new clutch coming which should be here by the end of the week. I'm going to throw some TT5 bias ply slicks on and take the radials off and we should be good to go.
GTXDana stopped by & it was good to meet him. Excellent guy with some kickass hotrods for sure!
The weather was beautiful, lots of cars & just a great day overall!
View attachment 4641View attachment 4642View attachment 4643View attachment 4644View attachment 4645View attachment 4646View attachment 4647
Darren, it was great meeting you and JP. I dig the cars and the stories behind them. Weather was great, lot of nice cars, and it was good to be able to actually get out of this lockdown mode for a while. Oh, if those mint bumpers somehow disappear off the 55 next time you're in town....I don't know anything about it!

DHR Darren

Reaction score
Absolutely know nothing about it Dana! 😇

DHR Darren

Reaction score
Bonnifante clutch ordered, will be built & shipped by Friday.

Coachk

Reaction score
Darren, I'm looking to put a different battery disconnect on my Camaro and will probably go with the Flaming River like you have. My battery has a CA of 1000 and the flaming river disconnects that I could find only go to 500 CA. What size battery (CA) are you using and what disconnect did you go with? Would I need to use a battery disconnect that matches my battery CA of 1,000?

Electrical is not my strong point.

Last edited:

DHR Darren

Reaction score
Darren, I'm looking to put a different battery disconnect on my Camaro and will probably go with the Flaming River like you have. My battery has a CA of 1000 and the flaming river disconnects that I could find only go to 500 CA. What size battery (CA) are you using and what disconnect did you go with? Would I need to use a battery disconnect that matches my battery CA of 1,000?

Electrical is not my strong point.
Disregard anything they say about cranking amps on that switch and wire it to the ground side. That is how all of our heavy equipment is wired and it works flawlessly and is much easier to do.

Crazees

Reaction score
Like that you wired through negative side. The way it should be as far as I'm concerned.

DHR Darren

Reaction score
Like that you wired through negative side. The way it should be as far as I'm concerned.
That is the "correct" way to wire any night switch (battery disconnect).
The NHRA rule of on the positive side (I believe) is for hacks that can't wire so they try to make it easier by cutting power. In all actuality that is worse & leaves more room for trouble.

DougA

Reaction score
Absolutely, always switch to the ground.
That is the "correct" way to wire any night switch (battery disconnect).
The NHRA rule of on the positive side (I believe) is for hacks that can't wire so they try to make it easier by cutting power. In all actuality that is worse & leaves more room for trouble.
When jumping a battery, you should hook up the ground last, unhook it first.

Last edited: